Sunday, November 18, 2007

Site Placement!

So, I learned my job placement for the next 2 years and I'm excited!!!I'll basically be living in or very near to the capitol and workingfor the Ministry of Training, Employment, Youth and Sports. I'll beworking with the Employment division with maybe some work with theYouth and Training sections too. This ministry just started last yearand I'm their first volunteer so it sounds like I'll be doing a lot ofgroundwork to figure out what the employment needs are in Tonga. I'mgoing to be designing and conducting surveys, running workforcepreparedness and skills training/workshops, and participating incommunity employment consultations. Most of the work will be withyouth (defined here as age 15-35). Part of what I might be doinginvolves setting up a system for registering under-employed andunemployed youth to track them for training, internships, andemployment. I'll be getting to do a decent amount of outreachtraveling to villages throughout my island, so I'm really excitedabout that too! They were looking for someone with strong reportwriting and public relations skills and survey experience. I think Ihave most of those, so I feel pretty confident! I've always enjoyeddoing career development activities for myself and for my friends so Ithink this is a really good fit! Since I've been in Tonga, I've beenreally interested in what seems like a lack of employmentopportunities for youth and the number that feel they need to look forwork abroad. It seems that this job will allow me to not only learnthe true extent of the issue but also figure out how to address itwork towards that. I think it will be awesome working for a newministry as well. Anyway, I'm really satisfied and excited about thisplacement! Also, I'll be living in a "family compound." I'll have myown small private home but it will be owned by a family who will liveright by me, which is also perfect since I wanted some privacy but really didn't want to live alone. All in all, I'm very happy with this!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey! i finally got on here today and got to read everything. It's really great to see what you've been up to, I'm glad that you're excited for your placement, and I'm excited for you! know that we'll all be thinking of you on Thursday for Thanksgiving!

-Colleen

Anonymous said...

Hey, Emily. Colleen emailed me your blog's URL today. I am glad that I will finally have a way to keep tabs on what you are up to. I have visited a few sites regarding Tonga, and will read more of this and keep up with your blog entries here as well.

I am very happy that you are so wonderfully pleased with what will be your duties for the next 2 years. That new agency could not have possibly found a finer, more qualified candidate for your position. Karen and I truly look forward to hearing about your experiences and adventures.

As Colleen wrote, know that you will be in all our prayers on Thanksgiving and every day.

Love, Dad.