Saturday, November 3, 2007

Studying abroad...?

I'm for the most part enjoying my time in Tonga, but I guess I'm finding it kind of difficult to process the experience. Right now I'm a trainee. That means I'm not yet considered a full-fledged PC volunteer. There are 33 trainees in our class. I attend classes on the Tongan language, culture, health, safety, and business and organizational development (my field of service). Throughout that time, we live with host families. This feels very much like the study abroad experiences that I've had so far. I'm sure that all will change in December when I begin at my post and there aren't so many PC people around, but for now it's an odd feeling. Not at all what one imagines when they think about "Peace Corps." Of course, those preconceived notions can be harmful. The "I want to save the world" notion is particularly so. In Tonga, the motivations of the people are so different from western motivations. Last night I was talking to a young man who is putting off representing Tonga to play tennis abroad so that he can stay home with his sick father, even though the father is telling him to go. Family trumps work, money and personal success here in many senses. I'm acknowledging that promoting business development here might butt heads with a lot of cultural norms and I'm finding myself having to ask what the real needs are here. Tongans might not want to advance in business if it is going to have any sort of detrimental effect on their family and I certainly don't want to be promoting practices that discount that. Balancing these cultural views and what might be some necessary steps for development will be the challenge. Attempting this balance is much more doable than "saving the world."

Another challenge for me is accepting a role of less independence here. Because youth (defined loosely as one age 16-maybe 35 or until they are married) here often live with their parents until they are married, it is natural for my host father to be protective of me. I, however, am not used to having to tell someone where I'm going and explain what I will be doing there. Additionally, as a women, there are even further constraints. I must be careful how I behave around Tongan men and my host dad has placed rules on some interactions. I think my own personal rules would be strict enough but his are a bit more so. However, it is clear to me that the host family cares for me and I know that my host father has my well-being in mind with his rules. It's a trade-off I am willing to make. Adapting to a culture becomes much easier when you've developed a respect for that culture and a connection with the members of it. In a few months I may very well be living alone and then I think I might wish I had someone under the same roof looking out for me.

No comments: