Friday, December 21, 2007

This is Peace Corps?

Now that I'm settled in (more or less) at my site, I guess it's time to update. I've moved into my house and started my job. My house is a modest 2-bedroom with a living room and kitchen separated by a curtain and a bathroom and shower attached. It's actually kind of cute and more than large enough for my needs. It's not as nice as some of the PC houses but it's probably nicer and larger than others. I was supplied with money to purchase a little refrigerator/freezer, a dual burner, gas tank, and some kitchen supplies. A lot of my stuff is still laying around the floor in piles and bags and suitcases, but I have all next week off work so I'll worry about it then. The initial problem was cockroaches but a combination of spraying and roach traps sent from home seems to have limited them. I've heard something in the ceiling the last few nights (mice or rats?), so I guess that will be my next critter to try to get rid of. I have a little kitten but he's too small to be of use in that manner right now. His purpose seems to be to keep me company, sometimes to the point of annoyance. He's always underfoot and gets more than a few bare-footed kicks as a result. Don't worry, he's not abused and is a very happy cat who seems rather taken with me (perhaps because I feed him...).

I also started my job this week. When I got here on Monday I was told that there wasn't much to do since it's the week before Christmas. We have the next week and a half off. So, basically this week I've just been switching between reading up on reports and surveys dealing with employment in Tonga and doing my own stuff on-line. It looks like my main task here will be to create, conduct, and analyze a workforce study. I might be working with an Australian volunteer to get this done. The people here are very nice and enjoyable to talk to. The Christmas party is tonight and I'm thinking it should be pretty fun.

Right now I'm still trying to process my "situation." It really doesn't feel like what you would expect a "Peace Corps experience" to be. I have running water and electricity in my house (and a refrigerator!), inside bathroom facilities, a 9-5ish job, and I live in a city. I'm able to go to a bar, go dancing, go to a restaurant, have easy access to internet, and most people speak at least some English. I established a while ago that the real challenges here (aside from the critters), will likely be the cultural differences, but it's still difficult to adjust to what seems to me to be "city life #2." I should be living in a mud hut eating bugs and speaking no English!

1 comment:

miss r said...

There's still time for things to go wrong, my dear. :) I'm happy that you're safe and have a kitty to keep you company!