Monday, April 7, 2008

No more new friend...

So the dog followed me to work for the first time on Friday...and then disappeared. He'd never followed me anywhere before so I was surprised when he started following me down the road. At first I tried to get him to turn around but it didn't work. Then I just got curious how far he would follow me. He followed me all the way to the house of my language instructor (about a mile from my house). She thought he looked like a very nice guy and acted like a palangi dog so she let him on her porch (even though I didn't want him there as I wanted him to be a well-behaved dog who knows boundaries) and he hung out at my feet during the language lesson. Then he followed me to work. There were a few close calls with other dogs on the way but he made it there and hung out there all day, making friends with one of the guards and enemies with one of the neighbor dogs.

At the end of the day I had to leave in a vehicle to drop off some employment forms. We tried to get him into the van but he wasn't having it. So we left and I got dropped off at the PC office for a meeting.

I figured he'd find his way home (dogs do that, right?). Well, I guess he never did. Wasn't there later that night, nor the next day nor the next... I figure that he is likely dead. He was either: 1. run over by some crazy Tongan driver; 2. Attacked by a pack of dogs; or 3. Eaten by a Tongan (yes, they sometimes eat dog here...prepared kind of like a pig). Or a combination of the 3...

There is a chance he could be alive. Fellow volunteers have suggested that maybe he found a female lover dog or another person to feed him. I suppose that's possible but it seems odd to me that the same day that he took such a liking to me to follow me to work (and I haven't fed him as much lately), he would desert me for another. Oh well, now I just tell myself that he was never really my dog so I won't be too sad. I did only know him a few weeks...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there friend! I am a blog reader from the Philippines. I am happy to found your interesting site. It is really worth visiting.